This past Tuesday one of the most critical elections in some time took place in which President Barack Obama won re-election over Governor Mitt Romney. At times it was a very close election as both candidates seemed to be having momentum going into the final round but Obama pulled through winning the Electoral College over Romney by a landslide. However even though Obama won the Electoral college, he did not the popular vote, and many are voicing their concern over whether we should change the way we elect the President. Some felt that Romney was cheated out of the Presidency because he won the popular vote by well over 1 million voters compared to that of Obama. For me this was an important election because this was the first time that I was able to vote. I voted for Obama because my family is largely Democratic and I thought that Obama deserved another 4 years to clean up the mess that former President George W. Bush put us in. However to be honest with you deep down inside I wanted to vote for neither of them because they are both incompetent and don't really know how to get us back on track. I wanted Ron Paul to win the Republican Presidential Nomination because I thought that he could bring true change, and he was a man in which he went by the constitution and defended people's rights and liberties. Who know though maybe Obama getting re-elected is a good thing and now he will have second chance to help this country get back on it's feet.
I want to touch on some things in which both candidates said when they were running about what they were going to do if they became President. Mitt Romney said that he "wanted to increase defense spending, lower interest rates, cut taxes for all the classes including the wealthy." Obama wanted to decrease defense spending because the military did not ask for it. He said that he wanted to "lower taxes for the poor and the middle class, while having the wealthy pay a little more." He said that adding to his plan he would decrease the nation deficit by about 4 trillion dollars. I thought that Obama plan was all right in terms of lowering the deficit, and he had everything all laid out. Romney's plan to me did not make sense because as former President Bill Clinton said that it's"arithmetic" and the numbers just don't add up. I agree with him because we would be in more in debt instead of cutting the deficit and wasteful spending. Also there were some lies and inconsistency when Romney said that "when he was governor of Massachusetts he had one of the top economies in the U.S., and was a job maker." Looking that up I actually found out that when Romney was governor of Massachusetts they were 48th in the nation in economy and creating jobs. Romney also said that he will create "12 million jobs", but the ironic thing that I find out is he never tells us how he is going to create them. Basically what I learned from Romney is that towards the end I would notice that this man would practically say anything to get elected even if it was lies. Obama actually had some good plans for us especially when it came to energy resources and education. Education is the number one key and if people are going to have to find good jobs that pay them good money they will need a good education to get them.
The last thing is that looking at what they said about foreign policy, both men had no clue what they were talking about and this concerns me. Romney said that "Russia is the U.S. biggest enemy", and it was nice to know that Romney thinks that we still live in the period of the Cold War. Also Romney has some issues when it comes to Iran, and that he wants to open up another war in which we can't afford and our military is already battered from Iraq and Afghanistan. The only good thing I picked about the foreign policy is when Obama said that "our troops will be out of there by 2014", and it was good to know that he wants to bring our service man and women in the armed forces back home so we can do some nation building here. However though he blew it when it came to Libya and when our Ambassador was killed as he should have sent extra security to make sure that they were safe, knowing that he was warned that an attack might happen based on Intelligence. He failed to react and as a result three people were killed, and Romney attacked him hard on that. In conclusion I would say that hopefully Obama can get us back on track and not send us back down. He will have a tough job because the house is primarily Republican and they will not let him pass anything. I hope that the two sides can work together for the sake of this country so that we can create a better and brighter future for our children.
Thanks for sharing your true feelings ;)
ReplyDeleteObama did win the popular vote - look it up.
Good post. 40 points.